[Last Updated: August 15, 2014]
Here’s why we believe in privacy:
Because kids are kids, and they shouldn’t have to make grown-up decisions about whom they should trust with their personal information.
Because parents, guardians and the educators with whom they’ve entrusted their children should have ultimate control over how their children’s and students’ personal information appears online wherever practicable.
Because passing along personal information to those who shouldn’t have it erodes trust. And that’s bad for you, for us, and for everyone who believes that technology has the power to help students learn.
This isn’t just on us. As adults, we all share responsibility. We’re working together with you to help your students and children read closely, think critically and be worldly. We also need to work together to maintain children’s most basic online right: the right to privacy. So read our policy. Hold us to it. Make sure your own privacy practices are in order. And let’s get this right.
Yours in reading,
Founder and CEO
WHAT WE COLLECT
We collect information about you and your students in a variety of ways.
Information You as a Teacher or Parent Give Us. We collect any personal information you provide to us. For example, you may provide us your name, country, postal code, email address, username, password, and other information, including demographic information and information about your classroom, your school, and your students, you directly give us using the Service. We also collect writing by teachers, in the form of their annotations and feedback and assignment prompts that teachers provide to students using the Service. If you order our premium services or products, we will collect all information necessary to complete the transaction, including your name, credit card information, billing information, and shipping information (as applicable). This information may be shared with third parties who help process and fulfill your purchases.
Information Your Student Gives Us. We collect any personal information your student provides to us, including your student’s name, classroom affiliation, username, and password. We also collect information about how your student interacts with the Services, including the articles that your student reads, the types of articles your student has expressed interest in, quiz-related information, responses your student writes to teacher assignment prompts, how much time your student spends reading the articles, and other performance related information. We also collect writing by students in many forms, including but not limited to their annotations and written responses to writing prompts. We may also collect information about your student provided by your school.
Information Automatically Collected from You and Your Students. We automatically collect information about you and your student’s computer when you visit our Site. For example, we may log your computer or device operating system type, IP address, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing to our Site, pages you viewed on our site, how long you spent on a page or feature, and access times.
THIRD PARTY ACCOUNT CONNECTIONS
If you or your student chooses to log on or otherwise associate the Services with another third party account (for example, a Google Account), we may receive information from that third party site to make it easier for you or your student to create an account on the Services and display relevant content. Any information that we collect from these third party accounts may depend on the privacy settings you or your student has with that third party, so please consult their privacy and data practices.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use information collected through our Services, or disclosed by you on our Site or in connection with our Services, for the purposes described in this Policy. For example, we may use your and your student’s information to:
• understand your student’s performance in relationship to others and to provide you and your student with insight into their performance;
• understand your and your student’s preferences and to enhance your and your student’s experience and enjoyment using our Site and Services;
• operate, maintain, and improve our Site and Services;
• respond to comments and questions and provide customer service;
• send you related information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
• communicate about promotions and other news about Services offered by us;
• protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity;
• link or combine with other personal information we get from third parties such as your associated school, to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
• provide and deliver products and services that you request.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not share your or your student’s personal information other than as follows:
• with your school or school district at their request;
• with new teachers within a school that already uses Newsela or schools within a district that already uses Newsela;
• with third party service providers, consultants, and other service providers who work for us and need access to your or your student’s information to do that work (for example, our web hosting provider); to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
• in an emergency to protect the personal safety of its users or any person;
• in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company.
We may create, use, and disclose anonymized and aggregated data for our own purposes.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
You may “opt-out” of receiving our promotional emails by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your accounts and our business dealings with you. You may change your personal information by following the directions on the Site. You may send requests about your personal information, including requests to change your contact preferences and update your personal information, to our contact information below.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take reasonable steps to help protect your and your student’s personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. However, please note that no method of transmission or method of electronic storage on the internet is 100% secure. Therefore, although we take security very seriously and work very hard on behalf of your and your student’s privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of your or your student’s information.
We welcome your comments or questions about this Policy. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us at our address: 519 8th Avenue 21FL New York, NY 10018
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the Last Revised date above.